Manager, Data Science & Analytics
Motimatic is re-purposing the digital advertising ecosystem to positively impact people’s lives. We are higher ed’s leading motivation science company focused on helping more students enroll, persist, and graduate. We're building cutting edge technologies to deploy the best of behavioral science, machine learning, and digital marketing so that more students successfully navigate critical moments throughout their educational journey. We've grown 10x in the last 2 years and are in hyper-growth mode.
Join us as the Manager of Data Science & Analytics at Motimatic. In this role, you will lead the Data Team and work very closely with our engineering organization. You will collaborate with seasoned professionals and very senior external advisors. The Data Team is core to Motimatic’s mission as a data-driven organization. Responsibilities include tracking and forecasting the performance of all customer engagements, creating data driven insights and tools for all internal teams, as well as productizing outputs and insights in collaboration with engineering. The Data Team is the point of contact for all customer data needs - in most cases remotely, with occasional on site visits. Finally, the Data Team plays an important partner relationship with company executives in identifying and prioritizing new products and business directions.
Who You Are
You are an experienced hands-on data professional with a solid background both in production-level python programming and data science. You have a passionate commitment to leveraging data in order to solve business challenges, and you combine that passion with a get-the-job-done mentality that prioritizes the outcome not the tool or modeling approach. Additionally, you have developed a client-facing presence and the ability to help customers solve problems. You're skilled at communicating complicated concepts to non-technical partners.
Ideally, you have managed a small team before and have developed a personal approach and philosophy about mentoring and using an agile approach to lead a team.
What You Will Do
- Lead and manage the data and analytics function while reporting to the CTO
- Apply strong data expertise (SQL, python, scripting, etc) to own data cleaning and the data normalization pipeline in collaboration with engineering
- Work closely with business stakeholders to build data reporting and modeling insights that drive revenue and customer success
- Use data science to drive new product features
- Apply statistical expertise to analyze outcomes and identify business-relevant patterns in the data
- Serve in a client-facing role to ensure the integration of client's data into the product
Required Skills and Experience
- MS/PhD degree in a highly quantitative field with 8+ years of non-academic experience in either a data engineering or data science role
- Strong SQL and python coding skills
- Working knowledge of data warehousing principles
- Familiarity with object oriented programming and unit testing
- Experience with machine learning and its statistical underpinnings
- Ability to communicate findings clearly to both technical and non-technical audiences and to effectively collaborate within cross-functional teams
- Sincere passion for the mission of Motimatic
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience working with dirty customer data
- Experience with machine learning including classification algorithms, prediction algorithms, NLP, or AI
- Experience with ETL and data visualization tools
- Experience and knowledge of Object Oriented Programming, Functional Programming
- Experience with any of the Cloud Computing Platforms
- Ability to appropriately select and apply a variety of statistical methods to analyze data and draw conclusions
- Strong communication and cross functional collaboration skills
Please note that we can only consider candidates in the Bay Area.
- 100% Health care, Vision and Dental coverage (PPO&HMO plans for employee and dependents)
- HSA, FSA, basic life insurance, and disability insurance
- 401K plan
- Flexible PTO policy
- Family Leave policy (12 weeks)
- Remote/Hybrid working environment
- Office lunch and commuting perks
Motimatic is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy status, sex, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristics protected by law.